APPROX. 6.6 ACRE FREEHOLD LAND/DEVELOPMENT SITE CLOSE TO CITY CENTRE
- EXCELLENT LOCATION SITUATED OFF CALDEWGATE ON FRINGE OF CITY CENTRE
- EXTREMELY BUSY ROAD INTERCHANGE PROVIDING ACCESS AND LINKING TO ALL AREAS ACROSS CARLISLE AND BEYOND
- LAND ZONED IN LOCAL PLAN FOR EMPLOYMENT USE
- MAJORITY OF LAND WITHIN FLOOD ZONE 1
- SITUATED IMMEDIATELY TO REAR OF SAINSBURY'S SUPERSTORE WITH EXCELLENT SELF-CONTAINED ACCESS
- IDEALLY SUITED FOR COMMERCIAL REDEVELOPMENT/INDUSTRIAL WAREHOUSE, STORAGE AND DISTRIBUTION, POTENTIAL LEISURE RELATED USES, SUBJECT TO PLANNING
- WOULD ALSO SUIT EXTERNAL COMPOUND STORAGE OF MATERIAL, VEHICLE STORAGE, PRIVATE PARKING WITH LAY DOWN SPACE
- OTHER ALTERNATIVE USES CONSIDERED
The site is located in the Caldewgate area of Carlisle on the edge of Willowholme Estate being situated immediately to the rear of Sainsbury’s supermarket and Carrs Biscuit Factory. Self-contained access is gained via Willowholme Road through a formal private gated entrance and tarmac roadway. In addition, we are informed a right of way exists to the West of the Carrs factory along the access to their car park. Other occupiers within the vicinity include a mix of predominantly commercial uses, principally industrial and retail with some residential also nearby. Willowholme Industrial Estate, Port Road Business Park, the Cumberland Infirmary and Carlisle Castle are all nearby.
The site comprises approximately 6.6 acres of cleared flat brownfield industrial land. Previously a sawmill, all buildings and structures have now been demolished and removed.
The existing ground is a mix of hard-standing tarmac, concrete and hardcore albeit with parts now overgrown with vegetation.
The site is fenced across its various elevations and benefits from original utility service connections
There are no current buildings situated on the site which is vacant. Whilst it is not currently assessed for the purposes of Business Rates a small part of the site is currently in use under both lease and licence for parking and access, in which case interested parties should be aware that this may attract a rateable event from the point at which the lease and/or licence agreements end.
Interested parties will need to make enquiries of Carlisle City Council and the Valuation Office relative to their proposed end use in order to determine the likely rateable outcome. The Valuation Office can be contacted at: www.voa.gov.uk
Offers in the region of £795,000 for the freehold interest.
Interested parties are advised to make their own enquiries of the Local Planning Authority at Carlisle City Council on 01228 817000.
The land is currently zoned within the Carlisle and District Local Plan 2015-2030 for employment use. This typically supports Use Classes E(c)(i – ii), B2 (General Industrial) and B8 (Storage & Distribution).
All proposed uses including alternative to the above mentioned should be discussed with the Planning Department in advance of making an offer to acquire the site.
Some discreet strands of Japanese Knotweed have been identified within the same area along the boundary of the site with the adjoining playing fields as well as along the site access road. As such the location of the knotweed is unlikely to impact on any future use of the land. The knotweed is currently subject to a Management Plan for its controlled treatment involving spraying the plant in situ and recording the same over a given time period.
An insurance backed guarantee has been obtained by the vendor by way of further reassurance to a potential purchaser. Further details and a copy of this and the Management Plan can be obtained from Walton Goodland and will be supplied to bon-a-fide interested parties.
The site boundary is edged in red on the plan and extends to approx. 6.6 acres (2.7 Ha)
All measurements taken are approximate and the purchaser should make its own investigations and undertake specific measurement where required.
The site is connected to all mains services. We are unable to comment as to the condition of the service connections which have previously been capped following demolition of the original buildings.
There is a utilities cabinet centrally located on the site where the mains electric feeds into.
The property is offered for sale freehold subject to the following:
(1) A small part of the site is currently let under a lease to United Biscuits (UK) Limited for a period expiring 5 September 2023 at a rent of £19,500 per annum. The lease is excluded from the security of tenure provisions of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1954.
(2) An adjoining piece of land is let under licence, also to United Biscuits (UK) Limited, for a period until 31 December 2022 at a fee of £500 per week of occupation. This is also excluded from the security of tenure provisions of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1954 and includes a right of way to pass over the site access road during the licence period.
(3) A lease of the electrical substation on the site dated 18 December 2018 to Electricity North West Limited (ENWL) at a rent of £250 pa for 15 years.
Details of the above mentioned lease and licence agreements are available from Walton Goodland. The approximate area of land covered by the lease and licence agreements has been hatched on the plan.
Termination provisions exist in agreements (1) and (2).
The income produced from agreements (1) and (2) covers the existing running costs / outgoings for the land.
We envisage this will be of particular use to prospective developers looking to hold the site on a cost neutral basis while planning permission is obtained and potential future development of the site coordinated.
VAT is applicable and payable in addition to the sale price.
Arrange a viewing
Last updated: 24th October 2022 - 10:11 am